Thursday, July 14, 2011

Little Nellie

Do you know this girl? She lives in Mutungo, Uganda. Her clothes are torn. Her shoes are completely worn out but still being used. She loves to hold hands, cuddle, and snuggle, and even fell asleep on my (Sherry) lap while I lovingly rocked her during a Bible study time with the women in the church. She is one of four children to a mother who is HIV positive. The father is deceased, also from HIV. These children live with their mother in a one-room shack. This little girl's name is Nellie...and she is in need. She's in need of a sponsor.

Sponsorship is this: A $25/month payment which will cover her educational school fees, school uniform, medical care, shoes, food, and a safe place to learn the truths about Jesus. The entire $25 you give completely cares for this child. There are no administrative fees paid from this sponsorship.

The testimonies from mothers who have sponsored children are real tear-jerkers. This is not a movie...it's the reality of poverty, disease, and the hope that Jesus offers.

Someone reading this needs to invite Nellie to be a part of their life...a part of their family. You may not be able to be here physically to love on Nellie, but you can do more. You can provide what she needs to survive in the slums. You offer her hope.

And if you're really feeling generous (I can't help myself!)...you could offer to sponsor all four children in this very needy family. You could make this girl smile again!

5 comments:

Judy S said...

My heart breaks for all the little Nellie's (and Ned's) in Uganda. I am so sad I won't be able to hug our sponsor child this year.

sherryLsmith said...

Nellie has a sponsor. Thank you, Marla!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Team, I have prayed for you every step of the way & my heart aches to be there with you all. Sounds like your flight was very "eventful" to say the least. All of you are God's hands & feet now & I know His work will be done through each one of you. My memories of Africa will always be etched in my heart, as I am wiping tears from my eyes now just to think about it. Genda I know you are a car racing fan, wont to let you know Dan Wheldon was killed in a race in Las Vegas yesterday in a horrible pile up. Must close. If I am correct on the time in Africa, you all are probably getting . Love ya Emily some much needed sleep now

Emily Estes said...

P.S "Anonyous" is Emily. One of these days I'm going to conquer this coputer

Deanna said...

God bless you all! Many of us are praying daily for you :) Keep up the wonderful work!