Sunday, September 28, 2008

Tidbits from Africa

Today, Sunday, I went with Glenna to a small village in western Uganda. This was a very small church maybe 50 people. We arrived at 1230 instead of the arranged time of 900 due to a flat tire. Ok you have to understand a flat tire on a Ugandan highway is extremely dangerous. Passers by do not slow down for anything. Our driver, who's name is Sunday, changed that tire in record time. We pulled out the tarp and sat along the road and waited.

The service of course had already started and they were ready for introductions and the sermon by the time we arrived. I think I did ok for my first time actually preaching, as the district leader asked how long I would be here and if I could come to more of his churches and share. So praise be to God for helping me through it.

We are now waiting for team two to arrive at the compound and they should be here any minute. I think I am ready for two more weeks.

OK ladies here is something just for you.

When your husband comes and says he needs a new PU truck you need to tell him a true man uses a bicycle to haul stuff. In Uganda the bike is as good as a PU is in the states. I personally have seen the following being hauled
3 people
livestock (goats, chickens,very big pigs
Furniture ( 3 piece living room sets, big dining room table and 4 chairs, full size bed frame)
Lumber store needs( not just a piece of lumber but a real load, re bar, 4x8 tin sheets, bamboo 12ft long and sugar cane)
And lets not for get about the food shopping ( at least 50 pineapples, big bunches of green bananas
Strange things ( motorcycle, coffin)
So when he says he really needs one tell him manly men use bikes, but you could let him upgrade to a tube less tire if he really thinks he needs to.


I guess to be fair men this one is for you.

Here in Uganda it is tradition that once a girl marries, her mother is not allowed to come to the son in laws home. She is not allowed to sit next to him and basically must keep her distance. The only time she is allowed at her son in laws home is if he is not there. Advise on this one I wouldn't push my luck on this little cultural hiccup and try to instate it in the states, you might end up in real trouble.

Shopping in Kampala

The store is set up much like ours but there are a lot more produce bins, only two choices of pop and no air conditioning. The baskets are the ones you use that you carry, you know those little plastic ones, but the sit in their own little cart so they are mini carts. I guess they don't want you to buy too much. The prices are about 3 times higher than the states but this was a store where the wealthy of Kampala shop so I guess they think they can afford it. Example a box of fish sticks is about $10. And there is a visible discontentment with Musugoos ( white people)there. I was told is stems from years of mistreatment.

Now if you are on the lower end of the income level you shop at street shops, where everything is negotiable. You start to walk away and they ask you how much you will pay. On the way home today we stopped at many of these shops. 20 tomatoes were 2000schillings and 1632 SCH = $1. So you can do the math. 8 green bell peppers was 1000SCH, 10 small onions 1000SCH, 2 huge fish, I mean each one would have served 10 people were 10,000SCH. Oh and to get them home you hang them on the front of your car kind of like a deer. So it is cheaper to go to the outskirts to buy those kinds of items it is just impossible for the average person to get that far out of town.

Other differences
A zebra crossing = crosswalk
stoplights are very few and far between to instead they have speed bumps. On the road we went on there were about 50 in a line spaced 50 yards apart. Now that was a fun ride.
Instead of flares or cones to show you are broken down in the road, you break limbs of trees and place a couple in the middle of the road. Ahead of the vehicle and behind the vehicle.
My favorite is the one that says the road is a two lane, well they do not even have real lines in the road so if you think you can get in and start your own lane more power to you. There are probably only 2 stop lights in town the rest of the time you just push your way through and if you are timid you will sit there for hours.

OK I guess I have rambled but I think I was able to experience some things that I would never have, had I only been part of the big group.

Still waiting on team 2 but here they are en route

God bless and we will write soon

Love to all now officially team 2 has arrived
Kimberly

7 comments:

Stinky Socks said...

This message is for Mr. Henry. I thought we were friends but apparently my feet stink too bad for you. You think my feet stink, wait till you come home and find my undershorts in your office. :)

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear that Team Two has arrived! We will keep you in our prayers that you will enjoy every day of your African adventure and see God's hand at work around you continually.

It's wonderful to be home. Worship this morning was awesome! It's so great to reflect upon what a great God we serve to allow us the opportunity to see Him at work in Africa and to bring such wonderful new friends into our lives like the ones we made on our travels.

Cheri

Anonymous said...

Hello,This is Abbi.I am so glad to hear that team two made it in today!It is really odd that we are getting ready to go to bed and you guys are getting ready to get up!(If you were able to get any sleep) Well the wait is finally over and now you can serve the Lord on African soil!I love you mom and hope that God speaks to your heart every day that you are there!I already miss you!Love you!

Anonymous said...

Words of encouragement; I want to share this with you all, team 1 returned Saturday night, and I was up until the wee hours of the morning talking to my daughter trying to catch up on all the things happening while we were gone. She made a list every time somthing happened she knew I would want to know, that way she did not forget to tell me everything. :) Then it was my turn, I told her of some of the amazing things we had done and or seen, some of them sad, some happy. I had no idea at the time how God was working in her heart. I did know the first year I went to Africa, I went without her approval, she wanted me home, close to her. I understood that, but felt the call to go was greater, I should say more powerful. This year when we went again my daughter understood Gods call to the ends of the earth. I came home to a daughter who was not only glad to have her mother return, she had love for the people of another nation. She sent an email to several of her buddies and told them of Children of Promise, and explained to them how God has provided for her and her family and she wants to join with child sponcership. My heart is overjoyed, the blog has been a large part of the way she has been able to see through anothers eyes. Thank you Kimberly, and Cheri for blogging.
Love Terri

Anonymous said...

Stay safe team two!!! God has so many wonderful things that He's going to accomplish through YOU!!

And this is to my mom (Valerie S.):

I miss you!! I can't believe you are on the other side of the world! And frankly... I'm jealous! You're so close to Jason right now! I love you and will see you soon!!

Alysa

Anonymous said...

It IS good to hear that team 2 arrived! I'm praying that God will speak to each of you and bless you for joining in His work there in Africa.
Patti - my eye is doing GREAT! I'll see him this Sat. so will be at your house again, thanks!
To God be the glory...

Anonymous said...

Alysa, I miss you too! When we were in Amsterdam we saw a flight to Kuwait and I kept thinking how close I am to Jason. Tell him I love him and if he can, he should fly this way! lol
Take care and I'll be home soon.
Mom (Valerie)