Friday, September 26, 2008

A wonderful day at Mutungo

As the teams arrived in the small village, we were greeted in the Ugandan fashion that we have come to appreciate and understand. People singing, dancing and praising our return. All we could do at first was to look in true amazement as to the transformation of the church and the compound. Oh how different it looked. No more bricks, sand piles, and cement volcanoes, but instead a serene grassy playground and beautiful landscaping.
The trees teams 1 and 2 planted upon our departures last year where growing just as the church and all of the new programs have done in the last year. The seeds we sowed a year ago look to be in full bloom and thriving so abundantly. We did not just build a building, but we helped build a community. This small thing as we would see it in USA, is a vast life change to the village of Mutungo and now has activity day and night, with all praise being lifted upward to God.
The music continued for a while as we greeted old friends, and toured the grounds in amazement of Gods glorious blessings. We were able to recreate the bonds we began a year ago and unlike in USA we were remembered by name. You really never know the impression you make good or bad, and here they remember it all.
Those of us that had Children of Promise were able to meet our little ones. When I noticed a taxi van pull up and drop a few children off that did not seem to match the uniforms of Central Community Nursery School I made my way through the crowd to a little boy in red. His eyes were full of amazement and an overwhelmed look. He was near tears as I sat down. I asked the man with him what his name was. The man replied his name is Amson. My heart sank as I had found one of my children. He was so small, so scared, and so afraid to shake my hand. I told the man I was his sponsor. The pastor then said he had accompanied Amson to Kampala to get his medical review and to meet with me. He said Amson usually talks a lot but rarely smiles. This very small child was almost lost inside himself, you see Amson lives in a small village far away from any main roads and this was his first journey away form the village. He had never seen any thing motorized before. The only thing his understood was a bike. He had never seen a car and certainly never had been in one. So much to take in for someone away from mom and dad and so far form home.
His little face was beautiful but so sad. He would not talk or smile. Eye contact was not an option. Even as much as the pastor tried to explain he was not able to take any more in. Soon I was introduced to my two other children who live and go to school right there at CCC Nursery Ronald and Racheal. They too were apprihensive to the white woman who was so excited to see them. " Who let her in here and why does she want our picture" they might be saying to themselves. And so like everyone else we were given some private time to try to communicate. And so the ice was broke when out of my bag 3 toostie roll pops came out. For the first time I saw their little eyes light up and the start of a smile. Now Amson was still unsure as he didnt know what candy was until he followed the other twos lead and out it in his mouth. You would have thought that young babies life had changed forever and I saw the biggest smile and whitest teeth. My heart broke and the tears would not stop.
As I continued to help each of them open thier gifts their little faces said it all, and I knew we had made the right decision to sponsor these children. God was smiling and He let my heart know. Each rec'd a childrens bible and a blanket, for you see if they have a blanket when/if they have to go to the hospital they will get better treatment; as a blanket is a sign of wealth here. They also got a few odds and end toys as well as a soccer ball. And that was a BIG hit, with the biggest smiles ever. This is the right thing to do to help a child who never smiles be given just that one little thing, a reason to smile. It may not solve all of the problems but at least it will help possibly to give a little hope to one so small and innocent.
This is just my story and I am sure you will hear many more and team 1 returns.
The rest of the day was full of presentations, dancing, and singing. Praise God we are all His children and can come together as one through Him.
The team then rushed home for last minute packing and were off to the airport for the very long journey home.

Much love Kimberly

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kimberly, this is Terri's daughter Michelle and I wanted to say thank you for the blog entry of your time with the children. I feel so blessed just to hear your story as it brought tears to my eyes and a joy in my heart for those children. You all are a God send to these children. My prayers will be with you and team 2 when they arrive, continue on the journey God has layed out for you.